Previous Desktop Ramblings

My previous posts may be accessed here: http://wordydave.blogspot.com/

January 24, 2010

Fill'er Up


My grandfather liked to work by my estimation. He built a number of houses in San Luis Obispo, drove truck for Union Oil, raised two teenagers, and put up with my grandmother. He made a built-in workshop in one end of the garages where they had lived. One had loads of drawers and cabinets with doors and a little ante-room where he could work on things. He was a doer more than a talker is my guess, a man who could fix anything and wear a smile while he did it.

He would also make toys for his kids to play with. I've inherited one of them - a crude pine-carved outline of a bald man with carved legs and arms pinned to the body so they'd spin around. A 30" dowel was buried in his back, so he could dance on a table or on the floor. I ruined the original look by painting it and adding a face.

God put the creativity/hard work bug in all of us originally. Our fallen world has smudged the genetic pool enough to erase its universality. Be thankful for what you've inherited.

No comments: