Previous Desktop Ramblings

My previous posts may be accessed here: http://wordydave.blogspot.com/

January 15, 2012

Color Blind

I grew up in a virtually color-blind town in California. Racial slurs weren't part of my vocabulary in school or any other place for that matter. And I didn't hear friends or family using them, either.

One of the black families in our school had six children. Their father was the pastor of the New Light Missionary Baptist Church. All four boys were outstanding students and athletes, each representing their classes as Student Body Presidents.

John Parish, who filled the President's office during our senior year in high school, was elected Governor of Boy's State in Sacramento, then went on to Boy's Nation at the Capitol. This first picture shows a Kiwanis member speaking to the group while in Washington, D.C.. Note the two empty chairs by John. The story goes that John was so discriminated against by two boy members from southern states, they refused to sit by him during one of the meal times. This picture symbolizes that hatret. I still remember John's tears as he related some of the pain he experienced when he got back and addressed one of the classes we were in together. Pretty sad - to go so far away from home as a hero just to be treated like dirt.










I don't have firsthand knowledge of this incident, but it seems plausible after discovering this picture of the two empty chairs. What do you think?

1 comment:

geodiana@prodocumentsolutions.com said...

Because he was not in my class all I can remember about John was he was a great guy and a true WYSIWYG. Most of my experiences with the Parish's was playing sports and working side by side with his brother Cecil. I was given the unfortunate job of knocking almonds and breaking Charcoal in the Charcoal pits with Cecil. The reason it was unfortunate for me was Cecil had an extraordinary work ethic and I could never begin to keep up with him. Given I never remember caring what color my friends were I now wonder if somehow it wasn't better back then at least in Paso Robles. I am glad to hear that John is doing well and based on the little I have read about Johns mission with our/his Savior I am sure he will continue to do so.

George Phillips