Previous Desktop Ramblings

My previous posts may be accessed here: http://wordydave.blogspot.com/

September 13, 2010

Noisy Nostalgia


The 5th annual Kingdon Airport Drag Races were held last weekend. This is a strip just north of Stockton that was popular for the local boys back in the 50's through the mid-70's, when everyone with a hotrod ran their cars down the 1/4 mile ---LEGALLY! It was a way to get speeding teens to stop racing on public roads. Like that would ever happen!

It was fun going to my first drag race. Hundreds of cars racing each other and over 100 classics lined up for perusal. And hundreds of people there Saturday morning while I was taking pictures. It was loud, smelled of burned rubber and alcohol and all very 'macho.'

Racing in and around Paso Robles when I was a kid was restricted to public roads only. The Atascadero Speedway was for hard-core daredevil guys who didn't mind wrecking their cars, I guess. Country roads were more for the 'don't touch my car - I just polished it' types, like me.

I was never into speed for the thrill of it after I sold my '67 Mustang Fastback in 1971 or so. Been there, done that. Life is short enough without mismanaging second causes.

Thank you, Lord, for preserving me during those years.

No comments: