Previous Desktop Ramblings

My previous posts may be accessed here: http://wordydave.blogspot.com/

August 10, 2010

A Certain Sphinx

There are a number of Sphinx moths in California, all with different 'first names.' They range in size, shape and color, interestingly, or strangely, as your opinion divines.

I found this guy (or girl) on an iris leaf in the front yard after work. It looked like a dead leaf from 6' away while I was watering. But leaves don't flutter when they get sprinkled, so I took a closer look. It's markings were striking on it's 3" wingspan, and I hurried to get my camera. There was no need: this wasn't a butterfly! This was a half-asleep moth. But it was in the shade and the shots were pretty bad.

After dinner I went out and put it in a jar to identify it using the Internet. It's called an Achemon Sphinx, looking almost identical to the east coast version, the Pandora, which is greenish. The California version is brown, with black (dark brown) spots and pink secondary wings.

After I.D.ing it, I put it on the grape leaves in the back yard to get some better shots. I had to force the main wing out to get the lower wing to show it's pink color. In about 5 minutes, the little guy started fluttering his wings for about a minute, then launched into the air, flying slowly over the grapes on the fence and into (and beyond) the front yard again.



Just then, a small white butterfly scurried around the tomato plants and finally settled on a green tomato. You have to sneak up on butterflies, just like birds and dragonflies. I was only able to get one picture before it skedaddled.

Life is full of unseen beauty, ready to show it off before your very eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have one of these sphinxes in a bush in my
front yard right now! the markings look like
holes in the leaves ! i'm in Denver CO ....
thanks for putting this on the web so i don't
have to use 1000 words to tell people about it. :-)