Previous Desktop Ramblings

My previous posts may be accessed here: http://wordydave.blogspot.com/

June 20, 2010

One Out of Seven Ain't Good Enough

I use a stock photo website to submit photos for sale. An average sale is about $.50 to $1.00 each. After three or more years I've netted about $48, $18.50 of which I have to wait until it totals another $13.50, I guess. It has been more of an experiment than anything. When I first started uploading pictures, they took anything and everything. At this stage in the game, they've limited submission approvals to a small percentage when it comes to the kind of style I shoot. Only one photo was approved out of seven in my last upload.

I can understand their reticence: their servers are bulging with ridiculous, unsaleable material and they don't want to add more to their hard drives. And with the economy in a downturn, only VERY specific styles of pictures sell well. And I HATE those types of pictures.

So the experiment has ended for me because it takes a LONG time to work a photo to get it just perfect, then upload it, then go through all the hoops (info) they ask for EACH picture. If time is money, then I'm making a few cents per hour, hardly worth the effort.

Oh, the picture you're looking at of the leaf? It was rejected because it wasn't sharp enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but I really like that leaf picture. I LOVE your pictures. God gave you a good eye, and you have developed your gift well.
:)

David Middlecamp said...

Nice lighting & composition Dave.